Finance Schools in Alaska
Alaska Pacific University is the lone university in the state to offer graduate students the opportunity to earn a graduate degree in finance. Students can opt for a finance concentration with the university’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) program. Students who seek more flexibility than a traditional graduate program affords may want to consider pursuing a graduate finance degree through an online university. Some online programs, such as the one through Alaska Pacific University, also feature Master of Finance programs that students can complete partially or fully online.
- There are 3 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Alaska.
- 1 school offers a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Alaska Pacific University, 52%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Alaska Pacific University, 32%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Alaska Pacific University, $31,397. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: The University of Alaska at Anchorage, $8,943.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Alaska: $18,176 – $29,810.2
- No schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013.
- No schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Alaska
University of Alaska
At the University of Alaska – Fairbanks location, students can pursue a Master of Business Administration degree, which includes coursework that prepares participants for careers in finance. Fairbanks’ program includes curriculum in financial markets and strategy, financial analysis, capital markets, derivative securities, and portfolio theory. The program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
At the Anchorage campus of the University of Alaska, students may also earn an MBA through their AACSB accredited program. For convenience, students attending this program may choose from classes that are offered in the evenings and on the weekends. The coursework focuses on preparing students for leadership roles in the business world and offers a finance concentration in the area of business analytics. Students participating in Anchorage’s MBA program have the opportunity to join in the local business network, which is closely connected to the university.
Alaska Pacific University
Another option for Alaskan students to earn an MBA is at Alaska Pacific University. Students at Alaska Pacific benefit from the small class sizes and the flexibility of online classes. Coursework includes an emphasis on management, leadership, banking, and statistical analysis.
Alaska Career Opportunities for Graduates
Several banks are located in Alaska that employ graduates in banking or finance, such as Wells Fargo and First National Bank Alaska. The state’s largest economic resource is energy. The revenues from Alaska’s large oil reserves allows the state to avoid a sales tax or income tax on residents. Energy companies in Alaska include ASRC Energy services, BP Exploration Alaska, ConocoPhillips Alaska, and the Alyeska Pipeline Service Company.
Alaska Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||190||$76,610|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
Alaska Financial Analysts and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
US jobs for financial analyst are projected to grow a rate of 23 percent from 2010 to 2020.3 Financial examiner positions are expected to grow at a rate of 27 percent and budget analysts are expected to grow at a rate of 10 percent.3 Financial analysts in Alaska earn a mean salary of $93,600, while budget analysts can expect to get an annual salary of around $77,000.4 Personal financial advisors in Alaska make a mean annual salary of $62,380 and financial examiners earn a mean annual salary of $58,300.4
Alaska Financial Professional Associations
- Alaska Government Finance Officers Association
- National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors – Alaska
- Healthcare Financial Management Association, Washington – Alaska Chapter
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-accounting/?type=private&type=public
3. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/home.htm
4. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ak.htm