Finance Schools in Florida
Graduate students who want to pursue a finance degree can choose from both Master of Science (MS) in Finance and Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in finance programs at many of Florida’s top colleges and universities. Those students who need flexibility may want to consider earning a graduate finance degree online. Florida Tech University features an online MBA with a finance specialization.
- There are 32 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Florida.
- 7 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: University of Florida, 85%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Barry University, 47%.1
- Highest net price per year*: University of Miami, $28,656.1
- Lowest net price per year*: Palm Beach State College, $2,902.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Florida: $14,638 – $41,220.2
- 2 schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: University of Florida (37) and University of Miami (71).
- 2 schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100): University of Florida (36) and University of Miami (91).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Florida
Florida International University
Florida International University’s Chapman Graduate School of Business is highly regarded and offers a Master of Science in Finance degree program. The one year program emphasizes financial strategy in real-world scenarios that prepare graduates for advanced careers in finance. Although the program is accelerated, courses are available on weeknights and on weekends. The program offers further finance specializations in Financial Management, Investment, or Financial Institutions. The graduate school is highly rated for diversity, class size, and value. As a whole, Florida International University is well regarded, regularly appearing on the US News & World Report Best Colleges listings.
Florida State University
Florida State University offers a Master of Science in Finance degree that can be completed in three semesters. Although designed for holders of undergraduate degrees in finance, well-qualified students with backgrounds in related disciplines are encouraged to apply. The hands-on curriculum focuses on financial modeling, statistical analysis, and communication to develop well-rounded professionals. The program and its faculty have been recognized for prolific contributions to the study of finance.
University of Florida
The University of Florida offers a Master of Science in Finance through the Hough Graduate School of Business. The school makes Bloomberg terminals, Capital IQ accounts, Traderex simulations, and its Financial Markets Laboratory available to students for a strong understanding of the tools that will be used in the practice of finance. Placement rates for post-graduate and internship students are historically high, and include some of the best-known corporations in finance. The ongoing Finance Professional Speaker Series further helps students prepare for these opportunities. A top-ranked research institution, University of Florida is commonly lauded by such publications as Kiplinger’s, the Princeton Review, and US News & World Report.
Florida Career Opportunities for Graduates
Professional and business services are seeing strong gains in Florida, good news for those considering careers as financial analysts or financial managers. High earners are also attracted to Florida due to the fact that corporate income tax is low and there is no personal state income tax for individuals. American Express has five locations in Florida at Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami, Miramar, and St. Petersburg. Apart from its large credit card book of business, American Express also offers business, corporate, and enterprise services, which have need of finance professionals with an education in risk management. New openings for finance professionals are common. National health insurer Blue Cross and Blue Shield is one of the largest employers in the Jacksonville area. Its Florida business is known as Florida Blue, and provides many career opportunities for finance graduates with an interest in insurance and finance analytics.
Florida Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
The state of Florida is highly ranked for its growth prospects according to Forbes, which combined with the high job growth prospects for financial analysts and financial managers points to an opportunity for those holding a Master’s in Finance. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that the average financial analyst in Florida earns an annual salary of $70,220, while the average financial manager earns $120,540.5 In the southern area of the state, particularly around Naples and Marco Island, the salary averages for finance professionals are higher.6 With a graduate degree, individuals interested in pursuing a career in finance will be well-equipped to take advantage of Florida’s economic climate.
Florida Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||11,420||$80,830|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-accounting/?type=private&type=public
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_fl.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm