Finance Schools in Iowa
Several universities, including the University of Iowa and Iowa State University, feature graduate degree programs in finance. The graduate programs, which lead to the Master of Science in Finance or the Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a finance concentration, may be offered on a full time or on a part-time basis. In addition to the traditional finance programs offered in the state, online universities provide a flexible and convenient alternative. Several universities in Iowa offer master’s in finance programs that can be completed entirely online.
- There are 14 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Iowa.
- 4 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Drake University, 74%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Saint Ambrose University, 25%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Drake University, $26,027.1
- Lowest net price per year*: Iowa State University, $13,400.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Iowa: $16,114 – $30,734.2
- 1 school in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: University of Iowa (100).
- 2 schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100): University of Iowa (44) and Iowa State University (70).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Iowa
Drake University awards a Master of Financial Management degree to well-qualified students who complete its part-time program. Created to prepare students to excel in the financial services industry, this degree provides a well-rounded education in financial markets, investments, and financial management. Through electives, students can specialize their curriculum to prepare for the CFA exam. Drake graduate students with an interest in insurance can benefit from the Kelley Insurance Center, which offers professional development services. Drake’s faculty are known for being excellent educators as well as prolific researchers and the university is highly ranked by US News & World Report and the Princeton Review.
Iowa State University
Iowa State University offers a Master of Business Administration – Finance degree that equips students with deep knowledge in the theory and practice of corporate financial management and investment. Students can choose core classes that cover topics such as financial derivatives, venture capital, and real estate. The electives offered for this degree are broad and provide opportunities for further specialization. This degree can be completed through full- or part-time study with a flexible course schedule. As an international institution, Iowa State University provides a wealth of opportunities to its students. Its graduate programs are consistently ranked within the top 25 of their kind by US News & World Report.
University of Iowa
The University of Iowa’s Tippie College of Business offers a Master of Business Administration in Finance degree that has been highly ranked by the Financial Times. The finance concentration is built for students pursuing careers in functional finance in investment banking, services, or the corporate arena. The school’s Finance Career Academy provides deep learning experiences beyond study, including networking opportunities with finance professionals, real-world portfolio management tasks, and company visits. The University of Iowa is highly ranked by Fiske Guide to Colleges and US News & World Report.
Career Opportunities for Graduates in Iowa
Iowa has several major cities across the state, including Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Davenport, where business and finance are major industries. Finance and insurance are among the state’s top industries, and Iowa is ranked among the best states for business according to Forbes. Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company, incorporated in Iowa over 100 years ago and headquartered in Grinnell is a financially strong insurance and reinsurance provider operating in twelve states. Grinnell recruits for top talent in the financial field and understands that its staff is the key to its thriving business. Position openings for financial analysts and managers are regularly posted. Cambridge Investment Research, a well-known Broker/Dealer, is registered in all fifty US states but is headquartered in Fairfield. Cambridge recruits talented financial professionals for its home offices as well as its advisory offices located throughout Iowa.
Iowa Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
Iowa financial analysts make an average annual salary of $70,460, whereas financial managers make an average annual salary of $103,970.4 The average salary for financial analysts is moderately higher in the urban area of Des Moines, at $74,000 per year.5 Financial managers also have higher earning power in Des Moines, at an average of $114,910 per year.6 Des Moines ranks among the highest areas of concentration for financial managers nationwide according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.7 Combined with healthy projections for the rate of job growth for financial managers and financial analysts between 2010 and 2020, Iowa has many opportunities for starting a career in finance.
Iowa Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||1,530||$71,790|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-accounting/?type=private&type=public
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Reprot: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ia.htm#13-0000
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm