Finance Schools in Kentucky
Kentucky’s colleges and universities award undergraduate degrees in finance. While no schools confer a master’s degree in finance, Northern Kentucky University offers a post-baccalaureate certificate in finance, which requires the successful completion of five courses. Several online universities, however, feature master’s programs in finance, which students can complete entirely or partially online.
- There are 9 not-for-profit colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Kentucky.
- 1 not-for-profit school offers a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Berea College, 66%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Western Kentucky University, 31%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Bellarmine University, $24,427.1
- Lowest net price per year*: Northern Kentucky University, $8,404.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Kentucky: $15,936 – $33,270.2
- No schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013.
- 1 school in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100): University of Kentucky (93).
*For 4-year not-for-profit colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Kentucky
University of Louisville
The University of Louisville offers a Master of Business Administration degree heavily focused on the principles of finance. Students pursuing this degree take courses in strategic analysis, managerial accounting, and global business, among other finance related topics. Classes for the professional MBA are held during evening hours and on occasional weekends. The faculty teaching the MBA programs are experts in their fields, and also work as consultants and board members for major companies in the Fortune 500. The college hosts professional speakers and provides networking events to help students advance their careers.
Eastern Kentucky University
Eastern Kentucky University’s School of Business offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree program that allows students to concentrate in finance through the selection of course electives. All courses for the program, which can be pursued full time or part time, are held at night to accommodate students’ schedules. The school’s Business & Technology Center offers students access to state of the art technology in support of coursework and research.
Bellarmine University confers a Master of Science in Taxation (MST) on students who successfully complete the rigorous program leading up to this degree. This program prepares students to respond to the changing US and international tax environment. Coursework is heavily focused on the technical aspects of finance and taxation, with a strong emphasis on research and planning. Bellarmine University encourages entry level financial professionals as well as more experienced professionals already working in finance to consider its program for career advancement. Bellarmine has been ranked as one of the top business schools in the US, and its MST program is fully accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
Kentucky Career Opportunities for Graduates
Over fifty publicly traded companies maintain headquarters in Kentucky, making for a strong business environment with many opportunities for finance graduates.1 Brown-Forman, purveyor of fine wines and spirits and one of the largest such companies that is American owned is headquartered in Louisville. Brown-Forman is committed to basing its business on the values of integrity, respect, trust, teamwork, and excellence and seeks finance professionals who can uphold these values in making a contribution to its business. The benefits that Brown-Foreman offers are highly desirable and include comprehensive health care choices, competitive salary, vacation, and retirement packages, and credit union services. Openings for finance professionals are posted on the company’s website. Republic Bancorp is the parent company of Republic Bank, one of the largest community banks owned and operated in Kentucky. Republic Bank has grown steadily since its founding in 1977. The company is frequently named one of the best places to work and has opportunities for finance professionals at its branch and corporate locations in Kentucky and surrounding states.
Kentucky Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
The outlook for financial analysts and financial managers in Kentucky is bright, as Kentucky is among the most affordable states in which to do business according to Forbes and the US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts steady job growth for financial professionals.6 Most financial analysts in Kentucky find employment in the greater Louisville area or in the Cincinnati-Middletown business corridor.7 Financial analyst salaries in these urban areas tend to average higher than in more rural areas of the state, at between $71,870 and $86,440 per year.7 Financial managers also earn higher average salaries in these areas, at between $91,830 and $113,530 per year.8 However, the West Central Kentucky non-metropolitan area ranks as one of the top five non-metropolitan areas for highest employment of financial managers.8
Kentucky Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||2,410||$71,780|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=KY&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Think Kentucky: http://www.thinkkentucky.com/kyedc/pdfs/Top25PubliclyTradedHQs.pdf
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm#tab-6
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm