Finance Schools in Louisiana
This page provides information for those interested in a master of finance degree in Louisiana. The state is home to many universities with different types of advanced degrees and different program options. Students can pursue Master of Business Administration (MBA) degrees or Master of Finance (MSF) degrees, and many universities offer opportunities to specialize and choose a concentration. Those interested in an accelerated program can attend school full-time, and working professionals have the option to study part-time or completely online. Graduates from finance schools in Louisiana may find career opportunities within the state’s financial sector after finishing their studies. Read below to find details on program options and possible post-graduation positions.
Finance Program Stats
- There are 13 four-year not-for-profit colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Louisiana.1
- 2 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.1
- Highest graduation rate*: Tulane University of Louisiana 83%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Xavier University of Louisiana 45%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Tulane University of Louisiana $32,515.1
- Lowest net price per year*: Louisiana State University, Shreveport $8,274.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Louisiana*: $7,146-$51,010.1
- 1 school in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2016: Tulane University A.B. Freeman School of Business (#89).2
- 2 schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2017 (top 100): Tulane University A.B. Freeman School of Business (#73), Louisiana State University Baton Rouge E.J. Ourso College of Business (#79).3
*For 4-year not-for-profit colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Schools in Louisiana with Master’s in Finance Degrees
Traditional Master’s in Finance Programs
Louisiana State University
At the E.J. Ourso College of Business at Louisiana State University, students interested in a Master of Science in Finance (MSF) can complete the degree in a full-time, three-semester program, or on a part-time basis. The curriculum teaches financial theory and quantitative methods while also emphasizing the communication and strategic thinking skills necessary for organizational leadership. Half of the courses are devoted to financial foundations, and the other half of courses are tailored for the career goals of each student. Students can choose concentrations in areas such as investments, corporate finance, accounting, statistics, information systems and decision sciences, and economics. LSU students can also gain real-world experience through participation in the Student Managed Investment Fund. Graduates from the Ourso College of Business can go on to work in positions such as financial analyst, financial consultant, and portfolio manager.
The Freeman School of Business at Tulane University offers a Master of Science in Finance (MFIN) degree. The curriculum is developed with the input of industry professionals, so students gain an understanding of the fundamentals of finance and how to use financial analysis tools. Students can choose to specialize in the energy sector or the banking and financial services industry. Courses teach technical expertise and analytical thinking as well as communication and leadership skills. Students at Tulane learn through a variety of methods, including case studies, financial models, and team projects. The program can be completed in 11 months or in 18 months with a summer internship. Post-graduation, students can take the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) examination or work in fields such as investment banking, equity research, venture capital, or asset management.
Southeastern Louisiana University
At Southeastern Louisiana University, students can earn a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. The 33-credit-hour program can be completed in a calendar year or in a year and a semester. Students from a range of undergraduate backgrounds can complete this program, although students without a business background may need to complete certain prerequisites. Core courses cover subjects such as accounting, organizational behavior, and managerial economics. Students can also choose electives in various areas such as investment analysis, entrepreneurship, international business, and accounting for government and nonprofits. Students learn professional development skills through program activities and through lecture series on current trends in business. For post-graduation opportunities, students have networking opportunities with SLU alumni as well as industry professionals in the region.
Online Master’s in Finance Programs
University of Louisiana Lafayette
The University of Louisiana Lafayette offers an online Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree designed for working professionals to complete in 15 months. The curriculum starts with seven core courses, and students can choose the last four courses to focus on a certain area of business. Students can earn a general MBA or an MBA with a concentration in an area such as entrepreneurship, finance, hospitality management, or project management. The MBA in finance focuses on investment analysis and portfolio management, analytical tools, and financial management. All tracks emphasize global business knowledge as well as the foundational skills necessary for the industry. Students are prepared for careers in areas such as international business and corporate finance.
Louisiana State University Shreveport
Students can earn a online Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree from Louisiana State University Shreveport in as few as 10 months. Students can also add a finance concentration or finance specialization to their degree depending on the number and type of electives. Those without an educational background in business or professional experience may need to take prerequisite courses in accounting, finance, economics, or statistics. The curriculum focuses on the foundations of the financial market, and students learn quantitative skills and critical thinking strategies. Courses emphasize the practical application of theory to business world. After graduation, students with online MBA degrees from LSUS may find career opportunities in corporate finance, asset management, and venture capital.
Louisiana Career Opportunities for Graduates
Louisiana’s state economy has many employment possibilities for graduates with a master’s in finance. The urban centers of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and Lafayette have large local economies. Companies in the state may offer positions for accountants, financial analysts, account managers, and financial officers. The state is home to some large oil and energy companies, including Entergy and Superior Energy Services. The large telephone and communications company CenturyLink has headquarters in Louisiana. Finance institutions such as Hibernia National Bank and numerous state banks provide financial services within the state.
Louisiana Finance Job Information
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||68,740||$60,060|
|Financial Specialists, All Other||1,140||$58,120|
|Personal Financial Advisors||1,250||$95,150|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of 2017.4
Louisiana Salary and Job Outlook
Graduates with a master’s in finance in Louisiana have many career opportunities within the state’s finance industry after graduation. With a relatively low cost of living, salaries in Louisiana can be lower than the national average, but the finance industry is still growing and adding new positions every year in the state.5,6 Financial examiners earn an annual average wage of $77,750 in Louisiana, less than the national average of $88,940.4,6 However, financial examiner positions are projected to grow much faster in Louisiana (by 18.2% until 2024) than in the rest of the country (an average of 9.7%).7 There are 100 new loan officer positions projected annually over a 10-year period in the state.7 Financial managers in Louisiana earn an average of $101,090, which is lower than the national average of $139,720; however, these positions are projected to grow by 7.9% through 2024.4,8,7
- Society of Louisiana Certified Public Accountants (LCPA) – Member organization for Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and future CPAs. LCPA provides networking opportunities and educational events as well as legislative advocacy.
- Louisiana Bankers Association (LBA) – Statewide group dedicated to growing and sustaining the banking industry in Louisiana. LBA hosts educational events and also posts job openings and news for members.
- Louisiana Finance Association (LFA) – Professional organization for those in the personal loan business in the state. LFA advocates for beneficial legislation for the industry and also holds an annual conference and other networking events.
Directory of Louisiana Master’s in Finance Programs
Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Tulane University of Louisiana
6823 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70118
1. National Center for Education Statistics (NCES): https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Bloomberg, Best Undergraduate Business Schools 2016: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
3. US News & World Report, Best Business Schools in 2017: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
4. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2016 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, Louisiana: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_la.htm
5. Sperling’s Best Places, South Carolina State Cost of Living: http://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/state/south-carolina
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2016, Financial Examiners: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132061.htm
7. Projections Central, Long Term Occupational Projections: http://www.projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2016, Financial Managers: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm