Finance Schools in Louisiana
Two universities in Louisiana offer master’s degree programs in finance. Louisiana State University confers the Master of Science in Finance while Tulane University awards the Master of Finance. Louisiana State University’s MS in Finance program requires full-time study over three semesters. Tulane University features an 11-month, full-time intensive program and a 14-month program with students attending classes every other weekend. Students may also pursue a graduate degree in finance through fully online programs at private and public universities.
- There are 14 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Louisiana.
- 2 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Tulane University of Louisiana, 75%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Xavier University of Louisiana, 36%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Tulane University of Louisiana, $30,883.1
- Lowest net price per year*: University of Louisiana at LaFayette, $5,891.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Louisiana: $4,943 – $45,240.2
- 1 school in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: Tulane University (49).
- 2 schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100): Louisiana State University at Baton Rouge (61) and Tulane University (67).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Louisiana
Louisiana State University’s E.J. Ourso College of Business offers a Master of Science in Finance degree that emphasizes analysis and communication skills. Students pursuing this degree learn how to apply financial theory and quantitative techniques to financial problems in a global landscape. An accelerated program is available, and students can choose from one of six areas of concentration, including investments or corporate finance. A competitive specialization in internal auditing is also an option. The E.J. Ourso College of Business is a well-regarded business school, offering its students multiple learning opportunities in addition to its comprehensive curriculum.
McNeese State University
McNeese State University offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree designed to equip students with high-level managerial skills in business and finance. This MBA program teaches the analytical and decision-making skills essential to business management. Most classes are held during the evening hours to provide flexibility to students with work and other time commitments. Students enrolled in the program can take advantage of McNeese State University’s comprehensive business institutions, including the Louisiana Small Business Development Center and the H.C. Drew Center for Business and Economic Analysis.
Tulane University, through the A.B. Freeman School of Business, maintains a highly competitive Master of Finance degree program at its New Orleans and Houston campuses. At the New Orleans campus, the curriculum is full-time and completed in eleven months; the Houston campus offers a part-time intensive curriculum with courses held on alternating weekends for graduation within 14 months. Tulane’s School of Business is well known for its Burkenroad Institute, a center for ethics in management and Goldring Institute for International Business, which allows students to access a worldwide network of business connections. Tulane University has been recognized by Kaplan, US News & World Report, Entrepreneur, and many other respected publications for its quality of education and numerous opportunities for students.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Several of the largest cities in Louisiana are centers for business, including Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Shreveport. Louisiana also has a comparatively low cost of living, helped in part by its relatively low state income tax rates. Fortune 500 member Entergy, which produces and supplies electric power to several southern states, is headquartered in New Orleans. Entergy is an industry leader in safety, trustworthiness, and corporate responsibility. The company regularly recruits finance professionals to keep its operations running cost effectively. Republic Finance, a major regional provider of consumer loans, has locations across Louisiana as well as surrounding states. Republic Finance works with many different types of consumer loans, and hires financial analysts and managers to support its business.
Louisiana Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
According to Forbes, Louisiana is competitive on business costs and regulatory environment, and is ranked within the top fifteen states for its healthy economic climate. The salaries of financial analysts in Louisiana are commensurate with its business opportunities, as the average annual salary for financial analysts in the state is $65,780.5 Financial managers earn a slightly higher average, at $89,210 per year.5 The greatest number of financial managers find work in northern Louisiana, in the Winnsboro non-metropolitan area,6 although there are opportunities for financial managers as well as for financial analysts throughout the state.7 The US Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that nationwide, job growth for financial analysts will reach 23% between 2010 and 2020.8
Louisiana Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||1,150||$59,800|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=LA&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_la.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm#tab-6