Finance Schools in Maine
Several colleges and universities in Maine offer bachelor’s degree programs in finance, and graduate students can earn a master’s degree in the subject without leaving the state by attending a program either on campus or through distance education. Many schools located in other states afford Maine residents the opportunity to earn a master’s degree in finance entirely online.
- There are 8 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Maine.
- No schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: University of Maine, 59%1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: University of Southern Maine, 38% 1
- Highest net price per year*: Saint Joseph’s College of Maine, $25,290 1
- Lowest net price per year*: University of Maine at Augusta, $7,832 1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Maine: $14,540 – $29,000 2
- No schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013.
- No schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Maine
University of Maine
The University of Maine awards a Master of Arts in Financial Economics degree with a unique focus on quantitative analysis. This degree places an emphasis on developing research designs in order to pinpoint and solve financial problems within the context of microeconomic and macroeconomic theory. Graduates of the program are prepared to assume positions of responsibility in business or government, as well as to continue their education through further advanced study. The University of Maine was founded in 1862, and has since maintained a strong reputation for academic excellence while offering a wide variety of higher education programs. Students have access to the University of Maine’s extensive library and may choose to participate in the university’s highly regarded Honors programs.
University of Southern Maine
The University of Southern Maine offers a Master of Business Administration, Finance Concentration degree that allows graduates to specialize in advanced financial practice. With this degree, graduates can work in virtually any area of finance equipped with an education focusing on real-world applications. The program is offered by the University of Southern Maine School of Business, which helps students form relationships with businesses and business leaders during and after their education. The University of Southern Maine campus offers many activities for graduate students, including student clubs and organizations.
Georgetown University, through its McDonough School of Business, offers an online program leading to the award of a Master of Science in Finance (MSF). The program uses a proprietary “Anytime Media” format that allows students to stream presentations by professors throughout the week. At the end of each weekly course unit, students participate in a live-streamed evening session with the course professor and their peers. Core courses in the program include Financial Markets, Corporate Finance, and Principled Financial Leadership. Students additionally complete four elective courses, a one-week on-site campus residency, and a global consulting capstone. Graduates receive support from a dedicated alumni center and have opportunities to make contacts with Georgetown’s extensive network of alumni.
Maine Career Opportunities for Graduates
According to Forbes, residents of Maine enjoy a high quality of life. Residents of the state can choose to spend time in urban areas like Portland as well as more rural areas with a variety of activities and industries. TD Banknorth NA is one of the largest employers in Maine and is a division of TD Bank, one of the largest banks in the US. The executive offices of TD Bank are located in Portland, while branch offices are located throughout Maine. Finance graduates may find rewarding career opportunities at any of the bank’s locations, which are consistently recruiting. Hannaford, a grocery store chain, is another of Maine’s largest employers. Hannaford opened its first store in Portland in 1883 and now has over 180 locations employing over 26,000 individuals. The company’s corporate offices, where financial professionals can begin careers as analysts, auditors, and in other positions are in Scarborough, Maine.
Maine Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the average annual salary for financial analysts in Maine is $66,430 while the average annual salary for financial managers in Maine is $82,090.5 The majority of financial analysts and financial managers find career opportunities in southwestern Maine, although there are opportunities in the more rural northern areas as well.6 The job growth rate for financial analysts is expected to hit 23% between 2010 and 2020, which is well above the average for business and financial operations occupations as a whole, at 17% for the same time period.7 Financial managers should also see healthy job growth, at around 9% between 2010 and 2020.7
Maine Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||360||$91,900|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-accounting/?type=private&type=public
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_me.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm#tab-6