Finance Schools in Maryland
Maryland’s colleges and universities afford students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate finance degrees. Graduate students can pursue a Master of Finance at such prestigious universities as the University of Maryland and the Master of Science in Finance at Loyola University Maryland. Programs may allow for full-time or part-time study. Graduate students who need a more flexible option may want to consider earning a Master of Finance either partially or completely online from one of the many universities that feature graduate programs in finance.
- There are 8 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Maryland.
- 3 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Johns Hopkins University, 92%. 1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: University of Maryland Eastern Shore, 27%. 1
- Highest net price per year*: Loyola University Maryland, $30,603. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: University of Maryland – University College, $10,913.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Maryland: $12,336 – $43,390. 2
- 1 school in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: Loyola University Maryland (53).
- 1 school in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100): University of Maryland College Park (37).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Maryland
Johns Hopkins University
Johns Hopkins Carey Business School is highly regarded for many of its programs, including its Master of Science in Finance (MSF) degree program. The MSF degree can be earned through part-time or full-time study. In addition to developing a strong foundation in the principles of finance, students learn how to develop and execute creative strategies. Johns Hopkins was the first research university founded in the US and continues to set a high bar for academic excellence.
Loyola University Maryland’s well known Sellinger School of Business offers a Master of Science in Finance (MSF) degree program with part-time coursework scheduled to accommodate the needs of working students. Classes are held at the Timonium and Columbia campuses, and as courses are offered year-round students may begin studying for the degree starting with the fall, spring, or summer semester. This MSF program prepares students to become leaders in finance, able not only to understand finance but to make it accessible to others in the work environment. The Princeton Review has ranked the Sellinger School of Business as one of the best business schools for graduates, and the school has also been highly ranked by US News & World Report, Businessweek, and the Financial Times.
University of Baltimore
The University of Baltimore offers a Master of Science in Business-Finance degree that prepares students to excel in the economic and business environments of today. Students learn financial theory and research principles with an eye to applying these skills throughout their careers. The faculty teaching the program are leaders in finance, banking, and other fields, and are regular contributors to the field of finance through publication and consultancy. Graduate students have access to opportunities at the school’s Entrepreneurial Opportunity Center, Jacob France Institute, and Executive Decisions computer lab.
Maryland Career Opportunities for Graduates
The professional services industry is one of the top industries in Maryland, indicating a wealth of opportunities for financial professionals. Lockheed Martin, which is consistently ranked in the top 100 of the Fortune 500 is headquartered in Bethesda. This major corporation specializes in creating and implementing advanced technology for a variety of industries including aerospace and defense and information technology. Lockheed Martin offers its employees competitive benefits packages and an engaging work environment. Finance graduates who can understand and implement advanced financial techniques are highly in demand at this company. Legg Mason, a global asset management firm, maintains corporate offices in Baltimore. Legg Mason’s investment divisions specialize in different investment classes and strategies to service clients on six continents. Legg Mason recruits for well qualified and driven individuals seeking a diverse and successful working environment. Career opportunities are regularly posted on its website.
Maryland Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
Financial analysts in Maryland make an average annual salary of $81,270,5 well above the national average salary for financial analysts of $74,350.6 Financial managers in Maryland make an average annual salary of $111,450,5 which is also above the national average for this occupation, at $103,910.6 Maryland is one of the states with the highest concentrations of job opportunities for financial analysts,7 and also has a high rate of employment for financial managers.8 Forbes ranks Maryland among the best states for business overall, with a strong supply of qualified professionals and a high quality of life for its residents. Taken together, these statistics indicate great career directions in Maryland for finance graduates.
Maryland Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||3,500||$84,800|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-accounting/?type=private&type=public
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_md.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm#tab-5
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm