Finance Schools in Massachusetts
Massachusetts’ colleges and universities feature both undergraduate and graduate finance programs, providing graduates with the necessary foundation for career success. Graduate students may opt to earn a Master of Science in Finance, which is offered at such schools as the University of Massachusetts Boston and Northeastern University, or the Master of Finance, which is featured at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Students generally have the option of studying full time or part time. Many colleges and universities provide flexible online graduate degree programs in finance.
- There are 24 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Massachusetts.
- 11 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Boston College, 92%. 1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Simmons College, 30%. 1
- Highest net price per year*: Hult International Business School, $46,746. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: University of Massachusetts – Boston, $10,940. 1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Massachusetts: $14,190 – $44,294 2
- 8 schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: Boston College (6), Massachusetts Institute of Technology (19), Bentley University (20), Boston University (23), Northeastern University (25), Babson College (36), University of Massachusetts (45) and Worcester Polytechnic Institute (51).
- 7 schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100): Harvard University (1), Massachusetts Institute of Technology (4), Boston College (40), University of Massachusetts-Amherst (51), Babson College (56), Northeastern University (61), Bentley University (84).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Massachusetts
Bentley University confers a Master of Science in Finance (MSF) degree on qualified students who complete its academically rigorous MSF program. Financial theory and analysis are the cornerstones of this degree program, which offers concentration tracks in corporate finance or capital markets. The flexible course offerings include online and evening classes. Bentley University’s technologically advanced Trading Room offers real world exposure to financial practices. After completing this comprehensive program, Bentley University graduates have a high reported rate of career placement.
Clark University offers a Master of Science in Finance degree that prepares students to work in investments, banking, and other areas of finance with a firm understanding of advanced quantitative financial theory. The degree is challenging and requires the completion of ten courses as well as a professional internship. Clark University’s faculty is highly regarded for its excellence in teaching as well as for its contributions to the field of finance. Clark University was initially founded as a graduate institution, and although it now offers undergraduate degrees its graduate education is still a focus, allowing the university to equip students to succeed in a competitive marketplace.
Hult International Business School
Hult International Business School offers a Master of Finance that is designed to equip students with the broad knowledge needed to launch successful careers in corporate finance and accounting. This one-year program begins with a three-week immersion designed to introduce students to the program and its fundamental concepts at the Boston core campus. Five sequenced modules allow students to further develop their skills and knowledge through coursework based on practical experience. Students have the option to rotate and complete their modules at up to three of Hult’s global campuses, located in Boston, San Francisco, London, Dubai, New York, and Shanghai. Before, during, and after their studies students are supported by the school’s comprehensive career development center, which offers career coaching, one-on-one career advising, and unique networking and development events. Hult additionally offers master’s degree programs in International Business, International Marketing, Business Statistics, International Banking, and Disruptive Innovation, as well as full- and part-time Master of Business Administration programs.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) awards a Master of Finance degree through the MIT Sloan School of Management. The course of study for this degree is highly personalized, allowing students to prepare for and pursue areas of career interest. The learning environment is collaborative and designed to equip students to become managers and leaders in finance. As a world-renowned research institution, MIT offers its graduate finance students unparalleled resources through its various centers and laboratories. MIT counts among its former and current students, faculty, and contributors Nobel Laureates and MacArthur Fellows, as well as recipients of other professionally distinguishing awards.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Massachusetts is highly ranked on Forbes’ annual Best States for Business list based in part on its labor supply and healthy economic climate, which attract many top companies to the state. McKinsey & Company, a global consulting firm, has a strong reputation as a trusted advisor for its clients. McKinsey & Company primarily recruits for highly qualified graduates with the potential to become leaders and seeks such individuals for its offices in all areas, including its offices in Boston. There are many roles within the firm for finance grads, from consulting to internal operations. Liberty Mutual Insurance, which has expertise in many insurance areas is one of the largest insurers in the US. The headquarters for each of its four major divisions are located in Boston. Openings for financial professionals are frequently made available.
Massachusetts Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
Massachusetts financial analysts make an average annual salary of $93,150; financial managers in Massachusetts make an average annual salary of $131,620.5 Financial analysts are in high demand in this state, as the US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that Massachusetts ranks fourth out of all states in employment rates for these professionals and third out of all states for total employment of financial managers.6,7 Massachusetts is also competitive for total average compensation for financial analysts and managers. Between 2010 and 2020 the number of job opportunities for financial analysts is expected to grow by 23% while the number of job opportunities for financial managers is expected to grow by 9%.8
Massachusetts Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||6,470||$109,980|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. College Prowler: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=MA&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ma.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm#tab-6