Finance Schools in Mississippi
Mississippi College is the lone university in the state to offer a graduate finance program. Students at the college may pursue a Master of Business Administration with a finance concentration. The program requires 30 total credits in both core MBA courses and finance classes. A growing number of universities are offering graduate students the opportunity to earn a graduate degree in finance entirely online.
- There are 9 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Mississippi.
- 1 school offers a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Mississippi College, 62%. 1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Jackson State University, 32%. 1
- Highest net price per year*: Mississippi College, $14,708. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: Jackson State University, $10,583.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Mississippi: $14,430 – $16,266.2
- No schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013.
- No schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Mississippi
Delta State University awards an Integrated Master of Business Administration that allows finance professionals to further develop their careers. The online program is inherently flexible while still allowing students to communicate with peers and faculty, developing professional networks in the process. Depending on each individual student’s degree track, one third or more of the coursework deals directly with financial strategy. Delta State University is dedicated to upholding academic excellence and integrity, and encourages its students to take advantage of additional learning opportunities to explore new ideas and innovations.
Jackson State University
Jackson State University offers a Master of Business Administration with the option to specialize in finance through electives through its School of Business. The School of Business provides further educational instruction to graduate students through invited lecturers from business and government, and aims to provide its students with the tools to develop professional networks prior to graduation. Students can also access the school’s resource centers, such as the Center for Professional Development and Entrepreneurship. The School of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University offers a Master of Science in Business Administration – Finance degree program that can be completed on campus or online. Students learn the principles of finance, management, and economics along with fundamentals in other core subject areas while preparing to become leaders in business. The thirty credit hour program is designed to be completed within twelve months. As a research university, Mississippi State offers multiple centers and institutes to further student learning, including the Mississippi State Entrepreneur Center and the Center for Economic Education and Financial Literacy. Mississippi State is ranked as a Best Buy by Forbes and has a green light rating from the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education.
Mississippi Career Opportunities for Graduates
Forbes ranks Mississippi within the top 25 states for the cost of doing business within its borders, and its residents enjoy a low state income tax rate and overall cost of living. The State of Mississippi is one of the largest employers statewide and offers opportunities for finance graduates in the Department of Finance & Administration. This department manages the state’s finances, including payments, payroll, and overall financial health. The main office for the department is located in Jackson. Career opportunities are posted on the state website as they become available. Hancock Bank is another major Mississippi employer. Hancock Bank was founded over one hundred years ago in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, and now has locations across the state. Hancock Bank offers competitive career tracks for financial professionals. Opportunities are regularly posted to the website of Hancock Bank’s parent company, Hancock Holding Company.
Mississippi Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
Financial analysts in Mississippi earn an average salary of $66,790 per year.5 The highest concentration of financial analysts in the state is in the greater Jackson area, though the average financial analyst salary is considerably higher in the smaller area of Pascagoula, at $93,540 per year.6 Statewide, financial managers in Mississippi earn an average salary of $78,320 per year.5 The job outlook for both financial analysts and financial managers in Mississippi is bright, with the US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicting job growth of 23% between 2010 and 2020 for financial analysts and job growth of 9% during the same time period for financial managers.7
Mississippi Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||290||$82,750|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=MS&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ms.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm#tab-6