Finance Schools in New Jersey
Half a dozen colleges and universities in New Jersey afford students the opportunity to earn a graduate degree in finance. Several master’s options are available with Princeton University conferring the Master in Finance and New Jersey City University awarding the Master of Science in Finance. Some programs allow students to specialize. Rutgers University, for example, offers a Master of Quantitative Finance. In addition to traditional graduate finance programs, prospective graduate students may want to consider the flexible alternative of online degree programs that are offered at several universities.
- There are 15 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in New Jersey.
- 6 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Princeton University, 96%. 1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Kean University, 29%. 1
- Highest net price per year*: Rider University, $30,357. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: New Jersey City University, $9,415.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in New Jersey: $8,111 – $39,537.2
- 2 schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: Rutgers University (81) and Seton Hall University (85).
- 1 school in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100): Rutgers University (61).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in New Jersey
New Jersey City University offers a Master of Science in Finance (MSF) degree program with three possible concentrations: financial planning, financial analysis, or financial management. This MSF degree thoroughly covers core principles and theories in finance while equipping students to take the professional credential exams most closely aligned with their chosen concentration. Graduate students can participate in and learn from New Jersey City University’s various business centers, including its Business Development Incubator and Small Business Development Center. The university also offers financial aid packages, and helps students apply for aid through other avenues.
Princeton University confers a Master in Finance through its prestigious interdisciplinary Bendheim Center for Finance. The emphasis of this program is on financial economics, financial engineering, and methods of computation, which prepare students to work in advanced finance with the potential of employment at prominent employers. To supplement the curriculum, the program offers assistance in arranging work and internship experiences within the finance industry. Students have the option of completing a master’s project, and may also attend research conferences and weekly seminars at the university. Princeton is one of the oldest colleges in the US, and is a recognized research institution with a focus on helping students from all backgrounds achieve educational goals.
Rutgers University offers a Master of Quantitative Finance degree program designed to prepare future financial managers and other finance professionals for rewarding careers. Core courses include financial modeling, numerical analysis, and computer programming in finance. The Department of Finance and Economics, which administers the program, is committed to research and service, opening many avenues for study and enrichment to its students. Rutgers University is consistently placed among the top universities in the US by the Wall Street Journal, US News & World Report, Forbes, and other respected publications.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
New Jersey is ranked highly by Forbes for the quality of life of its residents. Professional services are among the top industries in New Jersey, which while close to New York, Boston, and Washington, DC, is a center for businesses in its own right. Prudential Financial, a member of the Forbes 500, is headquartered in Newark. Prudential provides an array of financial and retirement services to protect its clients’ wealth. The company recruits top talent from interested individuals who exhibit the skills and drive to assume positions of leadership. Career openings in many finance areas are posted to Prudential’s website. Merck, also a member of the Fortune 500, maintains its headquarters in Whitehouse Station. This international healthcare corporation hires finance graduates to support its operations, with regular opportunities posted for its New Jersey headquarters.
New Jersey Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
According to Forbes, New Jersey has among the best prospects for business growth out of all fifty states. On average, financial analysts in New Jersey make an annual salary of $84,980.5 More financial analysts work in the greater New York-White Plains, New Jersey metropolitan corridor than in any other area of the US,6 and the same holds true for financial managers.7 The Trenton-Ewing area of New Jersey also ranks highly compared to other areas for its concentration of financial managers.7 Financial managers in New Jersey make a highly competitive average annual salary of $141,830,5 placing this state as one of the highest paying states for this occupation.7
New Jersey Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||4,530||$97,540|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=NJ&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nj.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm