Finance Schools in New Mexico
This guide to finance schools in New Mexico provides information about different degree programs and program options for students. New Mexico’s universities offer finance degrees such as a Master of Business Administration (MBA). Full-time students can choose accelerated programs, and working professionals can choose flexible, part-time programs or even fully online programs. Some finance schools offer additional concentrations or graduate certificates. After completing a master’s in finance degree in New Mexico, graduates may find opportunities to work or start businesses in the state. Continue reading below to find out details about programs, degree requirements, and possible career opportunities.
Finance Program Stats
- There are 2 four-year not-for-profit colleges and universities with finance degree programs in New Mexico.1
- 1 school offers a master’s or advanced degree in finance.1
- Highest graduation rate*: New Mexico State University 45%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: University of the Southwest 38%.1
- Highest net price per year*: University of the Southwest $18,063.1
- Lowest net price per year*: New Mexico State University $10,213.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in New Mexico*: $6,094-$15,456.1
- No schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 20162
- No schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2017 (top 100).3
*For 4-year not-for-profit colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Schools in New Mexico with Master’s in Finance Degrees
Traditional Master’s in Finance Programs
University of New Mexico
At the University of New Mexico’s Anderson School of Management students can earn a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree that fits their schedule. Students can choose a part-time or full-time course load, and evening classes are available. There are two MBA tracks: an accelerated MBA that can be finished in 37 credit hours and a 43-credit MBA with a concentration. Concentrations are available in areas such as Financial Management, Accounting, Entrepreneurship, International Management, and Operations Management. The Financial Management concentration, for example, includes further specialized courses in subjects like banking, investments, insurance, real estate, and financial services. All courses in the MBA program at UNM focus on developing leadership skills and problem-solving strategies for today’s business challenges.
New Mexico State University
New Mexico State University’s College of Business offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. Students can complete their degrees on a full-time or part-time basis and finish in two to three years. Courses are taught in the evening or in a hybrid classroom and online format, and students can also complete the degree entirely online. Undergraduate students already studying at NMSU may qualify for an accelerated MBA by completing some courses as undergraduates.The curriculum emphasizes an understanding of business practices, problem-solving strategies, and the people skills needed to be a leader in the global market.
The College of Business offers optional concentrations in the areas of agribusiness, finance, information systems, and public utility regulation. The MBA with a finance concentration track is designed for students searching for employment in corporate finance or investment areas, with classes such as Money and Capital Markets, Investment Concepts, and Derivative Markets and Securities.
Eastern New Mexico University
Eastern New Mexico University offers a Master of Business Administration degree that can be completed on campus or completely online. Students can complete the 11 core courses, such as Managerial Economics, Marketing Management, and Information Systems for Managers, in a face-to-face classroom environment or through video conferencing and recorded lectures online. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for managerial positions in a fast-changing business environment, so students learn about all the major functional areas of business. ENMU also offers a Financial Planning Certificate, which prepares students to sit for the Certified Financial Planning examination. Students without a business background may need to complete additional prerequisites before starting the program.
Online Master’s in Finance Programs
University of the Southwest
At the University of the Southweest, students can earn a Master of Business Administration (MBA) online in as little as 12 months. There are no prerequisite courses to complete, and the digital textbooks and school laptop are included in the program’s tuition. Students start with core classes such as Business Analytics and Econometrics, Leadership, and Marketing Concepts and Strategies. After the core curriculum, students can choose to specialize in areas like accounting, finance, healthcare administration, marketing, and strategic management. The finance specialization focuses on financial methodologies and is ideal for students interested in the Certified Financial Planner certification, securities license, or a career in the finance industry.
Western New Mexico University
The School of Business of Western New Mexico University offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree that can be completed entirely online. The program is designed to develop managers and leaders in business, non-profits, private companies, and governmental organizations. Students learn business management practices and analytical tools through case studies, business simulations, team projects, and online video conferencing. The core curriculum includes courses such as Management and Organizational Theory, Managerial Finance, Advanced Business Statistics, and Production and Operations Analysis. After completing the foundational courses, students can choose an optional concentration in international business, management information systems, or healthcare administration. Students without a business background may need to complete additional prerequisites before beginning the program.
New Mexico Career Opportunities for Graduates
Graduates with master’s in finance degrees in New Mexico may find career opportunities in the state after finishing their studies. The state’s urban centers include Albuquerque and Santa Fe, as well as smaller centers such as Las Cruces and Taos. The federal government bases some military camps and centers in New Mexico, and the state also has some oil and gas production companies. The financial industry in New Mexico is home to local banks such as New Mexico & Trust and financial companies like Heritage Trust Company of New Mexico. Students with degrees in finance may have an advantage finding positions at one of New Mexico’s many companies, nonprofits, or governmental organizations.
New Mexico Finance Job Information
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||35,350||$63,330|
|Financial Specialists, All Other||990||$55,900|
|Personal Financial Advisors||510||N/A*|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of 2018.
*Data not available from the BLS.4
New Mexico Salary and Job Outlook
Graduates with a master’s degree in finance in New Mexico may find employment opportunities in the state’s financial sector after finishing their studies. Los Alamos County, New Mexico in particular has the highest concentration of business and financial operations occupations in a non-metropolitan area.5 Financial examiners in the state earn an average of $71,400 annually, lower than the national average of $88,940, but these positions are projected to grow by 11.4% through 2024.4,6,7 Financial manager positions are also projected to grow at 7.5% (or 70 positions) a year, slightly higher than the national average of 6.8%.7 Personal financial advisor roles are projected to grow at 31.5% through 2024, slightly higher than the national rate of 29.6%, and the Eastern New Mexico non-metropolitan region is one of the top paying areas in the country for this position.7,8 Students that graduate from finance schools in New Mexico may have an advantage advancing their careers in the state’s growing finance industry.
- CFA Society New Mexico (CFANM) – Professional organization for those in investment in New Mexico. CFANM promotes high industry standards and support members in their continued professional education.
- Association of Government Accountants (AGA New Mexico) – Member association for financial professionals in governmental organizations. AGA provides training events, assistance with professional certifications, and networking opportunities for members.
- New Mexico Bankers Association (NMBA) – Organization representing the interests of member banks in New Mexico. NMBA organizes educational events, conventions, and policy advocacy.
Directory of New Mexico Master’s in Finance Programs
University of the Southwest
6610 N Lovington Highway
Hobbs, NM 88240
1. National Center for Education Statistics (NCES): https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Bloomberg, Best Undergraduate Business Schools 2016: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
3. US News & World Report, Best Business Schools in 2017: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
4. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2016 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, New Mexico: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nm.htm
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2016, Business and Financial Operations Occupations: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes130000.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2016, Financial Examiners: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132061.htm
7. Projections Central, Long Term Occupational Projections: http://www.projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2016, Personal Financial Advisors: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132052.htm