Finance Schools in New Mexico
New Mexico’s colleges and universities feature both undergraduate and graduate programs. The University of New Mexico and New Mexico Highlands University both confer the Master of Business Administration with a finance concentration. Those students seeking flexibility and convenience may want to consider the increasingly popular option of online learning. Numerous online and traditional universities feature graduate programs in finance that can be completed entirely online.
- There are 7 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in New Mexico.
- 2 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: New Mexico State University Main Campus, 44%.1
- Highest net price per year*: National American University Albuquerque, $22,299. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: Western New Mexico University, $9,565. 1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in New Mexico: $14,280 – $19,068.2
- No schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013.
- No schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in New Mexico
New Mexico State University offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in finance. This MBA degree program is flexible and accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Students can choose from day, evening, and online courses to accommodate commitments outside of the learning environment. Courses include management economics and financial management; students must also prepare and defend a professional paper as a prerequisite to award of the degree. Graduate students are eligible for various forms of financial assistance through the university. New Mexico State University has been ranked highly by Washington Monthly, US News & World Report, and Issues in Higher Education.
University of New Mexico
The University of New Mexico, through the Anderson School of Management, offers a Master of Business Administration – Finance Concentration degree with fifteen or more credit hours directly focused on the theory and practice of finance. Graduates of this program are prepared to pursue careers in finance and management. The Anderson School of Management is recognized for providing a high-quality education at a reasonable cost, and is one of just two schools in New Mexico to hold Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business accreditation.
University of the Southwest
University of the Southwest offers a Master of Business Administration – Finance degree that can be taken on-campus or online and completed in as few as twelve months. Courses begin every eight weeks, and the small class size averages are a point of pride for the school. The university makes an effort to help students acquire financial aid. The University of the Southwest is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and is a voluntary member of several additional boards and commissions.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Finance and insurance are among the top industries for employment in New Mexico and has relatively low state sales and income tax rates. The City of Albuquerque is one of the top employers in the Albuquerque metropolitan area. Employees earn extremely competitive retirement benefits in addition to insurance and other voluntary benefits. Finance openings in many of the city’s various administrative departments are regularly posted to the city’s website. The New Mexico Regulation & Licensing Department, Financial Institutions Division operates throughout the state, tasked with ensuring the financial health and regulatory compliance of banking, insurance, and other financially oriented companies. Currently, the Division oversees over 5,000 financial institutions within the state.5 Interested applicants can apply through the New Mexico State Personnel Office.
New Mexico Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
Financial analysts in New Mexico earn an annual salary of $66,710 on average.6 Financial managers in New Mexico earn an average annual salary of $93,870.6 Albuquerque and Santa Fe are promising urban areas for financial analysts and financial managers to seek employment.7 According to Forbes, the economic climate in New Mexico is comparably well positioned for growth, which dovetails with US Bureau of Labor Statistics predictions that nationally, job growth for financial managers will reach 9% between 2010 and 2020 whereas job growth for financial analysts will reach 23%.8
New Mexico Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||560||$74,970|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=NM&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. New Mexico Regulation & Licensing Department: http://www.rld.state.nm.us/financialinstitutions/
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nm.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm#tab-6