Finance Schools in North Dakota
North Dakota State University is the sole university in the state to offer a graduate program in finance. The Master of Business Administration with a concentration in finance program allows students to fulfill degree requirements in the evening while maintaining a full time job during the day. A flexible and convenient alternative to a traditional graduate finance program is an online master’s program in finance offered through online and traditional colleges.
- There are 6 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in North Dakota.
- 1 school offers a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: University of North Dakota, 54%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Dickinson State University, 33%. 1
- Highest net price per year*: University of North Dakota, $16,333. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: Dickinson State University, $9,704.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in North Dakota: $5,920 – $17,599.2
- No schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013.
- No schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in North Dakota
North Dakota State University confers a Master of Business Administration degree that provides a foundation in finance and other core subject areas, with opportunities for further concentration in the study of finance. This non-thesis degree allows students to choose from a variety of finance related electives for a well-rounded yet personalized degree track. North Dakota State University has been recognized by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education as one of the top universities in the US. Financial aid, including scholarships and part-time work with the university, is available for qualifying students.
The University of Mary
The University of Mary offers a Master of Business Administration in Accountancy for students looking to begin careers as finance professionals. This program, which can be taken on-campus, online, or in a hybrid format, can be completed in 18 months with accelerated study. Students in the on-campus track attend classes one night per week, but may take additional courses online. The University of Mary offers an affordable education with strong support from and interaction with faculty and student peers. The majority of students receive financial aid, and the school’s graduate placement rates are historically high.
University of North Dakota
The University of North Dakota offers a Master of Business Administration degree that allows students to specialize in multiple areas, including finance. This degree helps students develop the critical, analytical, and decision-making skills necessary to careers in a global business environment. The program is furthermore designed to prepare students to assume positions in mid-to-upper level management. The University of North Dakota is focused on expanding its reputation as a research institution, and is engaging in partnerships with businesses and the local community in support of this aim, resulting in new opportunities for graduate students. The MBA Student Association also offers graduate students further academic and professional opportunities.
North Dakota Career Opportunities for Graduates
North Dakota has a low cost of living, supported by its low state income and sales tax rates, and the quality of life for residents compares favorably to that of other states. Noridian Mutual Insurance Company, which provides financial services through various lines of business, is one of the largest employers in North Dakota. Its headquarters are located in Fargo, and the company has additional locations throughout the western US. Noridian offers competitive benefits, including flexible schedules. The firm regularly hires well qualified finance graduates as analysts and in other finance positions. US Bank, a leader in personal banking services, is one of the largest banks in the US. The firm has several offices throughout North Dakota. US Bank offers its employees a strong benefits package and career advancement opportunities, and is consistently hiring finance professionals for its North Dakota operations.
North Dakota Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
Financial analysts in North Dakota earn an average annual salary of $70,050, while financial managers earn an average annual salary of $95,670.5 Bismarck and Fargo are the main urban areas where financial analysts find career opportunities.6 These areas also see a higher concentration of financial managers; however, financial managers are more likely to find career opportunities in more rural areas of the state, as well as smaller urban areas such as Grand Forks.7 North Dakota is one of the top states for business as ranked by Forbes, ranking competitively in its business costs, economic climate, and growth prospects in particular.
North Dakota Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=ND&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nd.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm