Finance Schools in Ohio
Students interested in pursuing a graduate degree in finance in Ohio can generally choose between a Master of Science in Finance or a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in finance. Ohio State University, Case Western University, and the University of Dayton all feature masters programs in finance. In addition to traditional graduate programs in finance, graduate students seeking flexibility and convenience may want to consider enrolling in an online master’s in finance program, an option offered by a growing number of universities.
- There are 43 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Ohio.
- 11 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Ohio State University Main Campus, 82%. 1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Tiffin University, 38%. 1
- Highest net price per year*: University of Dayton, $28,597. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: Youngstown State University, $11,459. 1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Ohio: $7,922 – $35,678.2
- 7 schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: Miami University (22), Ohio State University (34), Case Western University (69), John Carroll University (79), University of Cincinnati (84), Ohio University (86) and Bowling Green State University (90).
- 3 schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100): Ohio State University (27), Case Western University (52) and University of Cincinnati (99).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Ohio
Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management offers a Master of Science in Management-Finance degree that is designed to prepare students to be competitive in the eyes of finance employers through a rigorous program of study. Taught by world-class faculty, this program goes beyond the mathematics of finance to equip students with knowledge in valuation, risk management, modeling, and other necessary subject areas. An emphasis on networking to develop career connections begins early in the program. Case Western Reserve University is among the highest ranked colleges in the US according to US News & World Report, the NSF Survey of Research and Development Expenditures, and the Washington Monthly College Guide.
Ohio State University
Ohio State University, through the Fisher College of Business, awards a Specialized Master in Business-Finance (SMF) degree that puts an emphasis on real-world learning. This SMF degree grants graduate students the opportunity to work hand-in-hand with top companies to solve pressing issues during their course of study, a unique supplement to an academically challenging program. The Office of Career Management provides further career development and networking assistance to students. Ohio State University is regularly ranked as a top college, and its students and faculty are also consistently recognized by top publications.
University of Cincinnati
University of Cincinnati offers a Master of Science in Finance degree program through its Carl H. Lindner College of Business. This degree particularly prepares professionals to raise and direct funds in a variety of business environments, an important skill in any finance career. Further specializations in Corporate Finance, Investments, Risk Management, or Real Estate are offered. Part-time and full-time courses of study are available, allowing students to take from two to five semesters to complete their degree. The merit-based University Graduate Scholarship can help with the cost of tuition.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
The cost of living in Ohio is low compared to other states, while the quality of life is comparatively high according to Forbes’ best states for business list. Businesses are also attracted to the state for its ready labor supply, meaning that finance graduates can take advantage of many career opportunities in various industries throughout the state. Nationwide Insurance, a component of the Fortune 500, is headquartered in Columbus. As the umbrella for many insurance, assurance, and financial corporations Nationwide is one of the largest global insurance and financial services providers. Finance graduates are always in demand at the company’s headquarters. Fifth Third Bancorp, another member of the Fortune 500, is based in Cincinnati. Fifth Third offers personal, commercial, business, and private banking services. The career areas for which Fifth Third seeks talent are broad and openings are posted regularly.
Ohio Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
Ohio financial analysts earn an average salary of $79,800 annually.5 However, in some areas of the state the average is higher; in Cincinnati, for example, financial analysts earn an average of $86,440.6 Ohio financial managers typically earn an average annual salary of $108,530,5 which again may be higher in areas like Columbus, where the average annual salary is $116,620.7 Higher averages in select areas may indicate higher competition for qualified finance professionals. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates job growth for financial analysts at 23% between 2010 and 2020 and job growth for financial managers at 9% over the same period.8,9
Ohio Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||N/A||$70,880|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=OH&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_oh.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm#tab-6
9. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm#tab-6