Finance Schools in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania’s colleges and universities offer a diverse menu of graduate finance programs with students able to choose from the Master of Finance, the Master of Science in Finance, or the Master of Business Administration with a finance concentration. Penn State Great Valley, for example, confers the Master of Finance while the University of Pennsylvania’s prestigious Wharton School of Business awards the Master of Business Administration with a finance concentration. Students may also want to consider earning a master’s degree in finance online from a school like Penn State.
- There are 46 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Pennsylvania.
- 16 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: University of Pennsylvania, 96%. 1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Chestnut Hill College, 41%. 1
- Highest net price per year*: Drexel University, $35,948. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: Lincoln University of Pennsylvania, $12,983. 1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Pennsylvania: $12,810 – $43,738.2
- 8 schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: University of Pennsylvania (5), Villanova University (15), University of Richmond (17), Carnegie Mellon (24), Pennsylvania State University (26), Lehigh University (35), University of Pittsburgh (82) and St. Joseph’s University (92).
- 5 schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100):University of Pennsylvania (3), Carnegie Mellon University (19), Pennsylvania State University (49), Temple University (58), and University of Pittsburgh (61).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Pennsylvania
Drexel University, through its LeBow College of Business, awards a Master of Science in Finance (MSF) to well-qualified students who complete its academically challenging finance curriculum. Students can choose from a number of finance courses to complete the degree requirements and also have the opportunity to complete internships and consulting experiences with business partners while pursuing the degree. Those enrolled in the MSF program have access to the school’s MBA Career Services department, which can help with interviewing, job search, and other preparatory career tasks. Drexel University is a recognized leader in higher education, holding prestigious rankings from US News & World Report, Businessweek, Entrepreneur, and the Financial Times as well as many others.
Pennsylvania State University
The Pennsylvania State University, more commonly known as Penn State, offers a Master of Finance (MF) degree program accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business that focuses on practical applications of financial theory to business. With the well-rounded education provided by this MF degree, students can pursue finance careers after completing the degree in as little as one year. Students can also pursue the degree part-time, with classes meeting during the evening and on Saturdays. Optional graduate certificates in subjects such as Corporate Finance or Financial Risk Management provide deep supplemental learning opportunities. Penn State’s programs consistently place at the top of US News & World Report rankings.
Saint Joseph’s University
Saint Joseph’s University offers a Master of Science in Financial Services, which is the only master’s degree in finance in the Philadelphia area to hold certification by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business and the Certified Financial Planner Board. This competitive program equips students to start careers as professional financial planners and advisors through a broad range of finance-oriented courses. Courses may be taken in the evenings or on Saturdays, as well as online. Among the benefits available to students pursuing the program are the instructional facilities of Mandeville Hall, ranked as one of the most technologically well-equipped business school facilities by the Chronicle of Higher Education.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
On its annual rankings of the Best States for Business, Forbes has consistently recognized Pennsylvania’s strong economic climate. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry Center for Workforce Information and Analysis, PNC Bank is one of the top fifteen largest employers in the state. PNC Bank provides individual and corporate services across many functional finance areas, building its business on a strong set of corporate values with a focus on customers and overall performance. Finance opportunities with PNC are located throughout the state. Vanguard Group is another top Pennsylvania employer. This provider of investment instruments is a well-recognized name in the world of finance and is frequently hiring finance specialists from all backgrounds.
Pennsylvania Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics financial analysts in Pennsylvania earn an average annual salary of $76,820.5 Financial managers earn an even more competitive annual salary of $113,850.5 Nationally, positive job growth is projected for the decade ending in 2020 for financial analysts (23%) and financial managers (9%).6,7 According to Forbes’ Best States for Business list, Pennsylvania is ranked #7 in quality of life.
Pennsylvania Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||6,360||$88,460|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-accounting/?type=private&type=public
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News & World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_pa.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm#tab-6
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm#tab-6