Finance Schools in Rhode Island
Johnson and Wales University at Providence is the only university in Rhode Island to offer a graduate program in finance. The Master of Business Administration program consists of 54 quarter credits which include core and elective courses. Students who want to stay in the state but who also require flexibility may want to consider an online graduate finance program. Some online and traditional colleges offer master’s in finance programs, which students can complete exclusively online.
- There are 8 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Rhode Island.
- 1 school offers a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Providence College, 87%. 1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Providence College, 4%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Bryant University, $33,111. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: Rhode Island College, $8,426. 1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Rhode Island: $18,296 – $42,206.2
- 1 school in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: Bryant University (63).
- No schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Rhode Island
Bryant University offers a Master of Business Administration – Global Finance Specialization degree through its Graduate School of Business. This degree incorporates current management theory with the study of finance to prepare students to become effective managers with an understanding of global markets. The coursework includes the study of all functional areas of business so that graduates are able to strategize and work effectively. Bryant University emphasizes the importance of building professional networks and assists students in developing relationships throughout the course of study. The university has been recognized by Businessweek, US News & World Report, Campus Technology Magazine, and various other prestigious publications.
Providence College awards a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in finance to qualified students who complete the requisite program of study. Students can pursue the degree full-time or part-time with flexible course schedules, taking only one class per semester if desired. The complexities of finance are directly addressed in the curriculum and prepare graduates to work in the world of business at a competitive advantage. Providence College has been recognized by US News & World Report in its “Great Schools, Great Prices” rankings.
University of Rhode Island
The University of Rhode Island offers a Master of Business Administration accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business that can be taken full time through traditional courses or part-time through evening courses. Depending on the course of study, students can complete the degree in between one and five years. The typical curriculum includes fifteen courses, although waivers for certain courses are available based on past study. The University of Rhode Island MBA program has been ranked highly by the Princeton Review and by SmartMoney magazine.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
As reported by the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation, financial services is one of the top industries in Rhode Island, which despite its relatively small size is home to over 1,400 financial services firms, which paid some $2.2 billion in wages to Rhode Island employees in 2006.5 Amica Insurance is one of the largest financial services companies in the state. This firm is based in Lincoln and underwrites auto, home, life, and select other insurance products for its clients. Amica Insurance is committed to excellent customer service, for which it relies on its employees. Finance graduates may have opportunities to begin careers at the firm as entry-level managers or in other desirable positions. Citizens Bank, another of Rhode Island’s top finance employers, was originally founded in Providence. Now part of a commercial bank holding company, its headquarters are still in Providence, with other locations throughout the state. Opportunities in finance are posted through Citizens Bank’s parent company, Citizens Financial Group.
Rhode Island Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
The quality of life for those living in Rhode Island is ranked #18 in the country according to Forbes Best States for Business list and is coupled with competitive salaries for finance professionals in the state. Financial analysts in Rhode Island earn an average annual salary of $68,830.6 Financial managers in Rhode Island earn a highly competitive annual salary, at an average of $126,260.6 Rhode Island has one of the highest concentrations of financial analysts in the nation,7 and according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics job growth for financial analysts is predicted at a rate of 23% nationally between 2010 and 2020.8
Rhode Island Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-accounting/?type=private&type=public
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News & World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation: http://commerceri.com/
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ri.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm#tab-6