Finance Schools in South Dakota
This page provides details about master’s in finance degree programs in South Dakota. Many universities in the state offer a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree, and students can earn a concentration or choose a specialization based on their career interests. Some programs are designed for recent college graduates, while others are ideal for mid-career working professionals. Students can also choose between full-time, part-time, and online schedules. Graduates from finance schools in South Dakota may find opportunities to work in a financial role or start a business in the state after graduation. The information below details different program formats, finance degree curriculum, and possible employment opportunities in South Dakota.
Finance Program Stats
- There are 3 four-year not-for-profit colleges and universities with finance degree programs in South Dakota.1
- No schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.1
- Highest graduation rate*: University of South Dakota 55%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Dakota State University 39%.1
- Highest net price per year*: University of South Dakota $16,502.1
- Lowest net price per year*: Northern State University $14,341.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in South Dakota*: $7,887-$8,927.1
- No schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2016.2
- No schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2017 (top 100).3
*For 4-year not-for-profit colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Schools in South Dakota with Master’s in Finance Degrees
Traditional Master’s in Finance Programs
University of South Dakota
The Beacom School of Business at the University of South Dakota offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. This program emphasizes critical thinking skills and analytical strategies, as well as ethical leadership and social responsibility in business. Students start with core courses such as Managerial Finance, Operations Management, Strategic Management, and Leadership Development. From there, students can either complete a thesis or choose electives relevant to their career aspirations. Specializations are available in the areas of business analytics, health services administration, marketing, and operations and supply chain management. The MBA program can be completed on campus full-time, on a part-time basis with evening and online courses, or completely online. Those without a business background may need to complete foundational courses before starting the program.
Black Hills State University
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Applied Management program at Black Hills State University is designed for working professionals in western South Dakota. This three-year program offers all classes in the evening in a face-to-face format. Students take 33 credit hours of core courses such as Management and Organizational Behavior, Global Business Management, Information Technology, and Strategic Management. Students then complete a three-credit-hour supervised project in their chosen industry. This curriculum focuses on developing leaders with broad skills and knowledge relevant to the business world. Students are encouraged to network with cohort peers and regional business owners for potential post-graduation career opportunities. Those without an academic background may need to complete additional prerequisite courses, such as Business Finance and Principles of Accounting, before beginning the program.
University of Sioux Falls
The Vucurevich School of Business at the University of Sioux Falls offers two types Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs. Individuals in the early stages of their careers can pursue a 12-month, full-time MBA in Organizational Leadership. This program is designed to develop students’ strategic and critical thinking skills and their ability to connect knowledge and strategy in business. Working professionals with business experience can pursue the part-time 21-month MBA, offered completely online or through evening classes. This MBA program offers concentrations in Business Innovation and Marketing, Healthcare, and Management. Part-time students take one class at a time, one evening per week. Both programs emphasize ethical leadership, teamwork skills, and the real-world application of classroom knowledge.
Online Master’s in Finance Programs
Dakota State University
Students can earn an online Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in general management at Dakota State University. Students can choose between two online approaches depending on their schedule. Some can take courses through recorded lectures, textbook study, and online assignments. Students can also choose to participate in real-time courses in the afternoon or evening. The program focuses on an applicable curriculum, emphasizing the knowledge, skills, and latest technologies necessary in the business field. Through core class such as Business Analysis for Managerial Decisions, Strategic Marketing, and Advanced Business Finance, students learn about leadership strategies, financial principles, and decision-making tools. This 36-credit hour program can be completed in two to four years, but students without an academic business background may need to complete additional foundational courses.
Dakota Wesleyan University
Dakota Wesleyan University offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree that can be completed in one year on a full-time basis, or at a student’s own pace on a part-time basis. Students can start the program at three different points of the year, and each course is eight weeks long. This program has an entrepreneurial and leadership focus and is ideal for those interested in work in the small and medium-sized businesses in the region. Students learn communication skills, critical thinking, and planning in relation to business issues. The core curriculum includes classes such as Strategic Operations Management, Financial Analysis, Risk Management, and Strategic Business Development. Students without a business undergraduate degree may need to complete some prerequisites before beginning the online program.
South Dakota Career Opportunities for Graduates
South Dakota’s state economy may provide many possible positions for students with master’s degrees in finance. Many national financial services companies have large operations centers in the state, including Citibank, Wells Fargo & Co, Great Western Bancorp, TCF Bank, and Sammons Financial. Other service industries such as retail and healthcare offer many positions in financial roles, from accountants to financial analysts. Large utility and energy companies, such as Black Hills Corporation and NorthWestern Corporation are based in the state, as well as bioscience businesses and agricultural companies. The federal government also has logistical and administrative operations in South Dakota, including Ellsworth Air Force Base, offering government financial officer positions and other opportunities. Graduates from finance schools in South Dakota may be able to find a career opportunity in a financial role in one of these many organizations.
South Dakota Finance Job Information
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||18,630||$63,450|
|Financial Specialists, All Other||70||$68,820|
|Personal Financial Advisors||350||$82,540|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of 2018.4
South Dakota Salary and Job Outlook
Graduates with degrees in finance in South Dakota may find opportunities to work in financial roles in the state after finishing their degree. Financial examiner positions in South Dakota, for example, are projected to grow by 10.3% through 2024, and these positions earn an average annual salary of $97,780 in the state (compared to $88,940 nationally).5,4,6 The East South Dakota nonmetropolitan area has one of the highest concentrations of personal financial advisor positions, and these are projected to grow by 19.3% through 2024.7,5 South Dakota also has the highest concentration of loan officer positions in the country, and these roles are projected to grow 13% through 2024.8,5 Graduates with finance degrees in South Dakota may have an advantage in finding one of these positions or others in the finance industry.
- South Dakota Municipal League (SDML) – Association of professionals working in municipal government in South Dakota. SDML supports further education for government finance officers and shared resources between municipal officers in the state.
- South Dakota Certified Public Accountant Society (SDCPAS) – Professional organization of Certified Public Accountants in the state. SDCPAS organizes educational events for members and the community, promotes high professional standards, and provides networking opportunities.
- South Dakota Bankers Association (SDBA) – Network of those in the financial services industry in South Dakota. SDBA promotes relevant industry services, posts job listings and connects industry professionals, and publishes news and information.
1. National Center for Education Statistics (NCES): https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Bloomberg, Best Undergraduate Business Schools 2016: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
3. US News & World Report, Best Business Schools in 2017: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
4. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2016 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, South Dakota: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_sd.htm
5. Projections Central, Long Term Occupational Projections: http://www.projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2016, Financial Examiners: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132061.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2016, Personal Financial Advisors: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132052.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2016, Loan Officers: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132072.htm