Finance Schools in South Dakota
While 10 colleges and universities feature undergraduate programs in finance in South Dakota, no schools offer graduate degree programs in finance. However, graduate students can still earn a master’s in finance while remaining in South Dakota. Online and traditional colleges also offer master’s in finance degrees with students generally fulfilling degree requirements entirely online.
- There are 10 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in South Dakota.
- No schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Dakota State University, 44%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Northern State University, 26%. 1
- Highest net price per year*: National American University Rapid City, $19,924. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: Dakota State University, $12,142.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in South Dakota: $9,133 – $9,650.2
- No schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013.
- No schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in South Dakota
Black Hills State University awards a Master of Business Administration degree that aims to turn students into qualified management professionals. This degree allows students to develop expertise in areas of interest, including finance, in order to prepare them to embark upon their desired career paths following graduation. The program was developed with the needs of working professionals in mind, with a rolling admission policy for full-time or part-time enrollment. Black Hills State University is frequently recognized for the research contributions of its faculty and the academic standing of many of its departments.
Dakota State University
Dakota State University offers a Master of Business Administration in General Management with a strong focus on finance and analysis. The curriculum also places an emphasis on information technology, all of which prepares students to take on management roles in finance. Although courses are taught primarily in a face to face setting, online components are offered to maximize learning opportunities. Classes may be taken full-time or part-time. A multitude of scholarships are available to assist with the cost of tuition.
Northern State University
Northern State University offers a Master of Science in Banking and Financial Services that uniquely prepares students to excel in the world of finance. The majority of the program is completed online, with the exception of a one-week capstone course taken during the summer of the program’s second year. The curriculum was developed in partnership with finance professionals to provide a well-rounded education to graduates in preparation for establishing meaningful careers. Students also have access to university resources including the Center for Excellence in International Business. Northern State University is a growing school that is on the path to becoming a leading regional university, focused on the values of community, scholarship, and citizenship.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
South Dakota was recently ranked first in the country for its low business costs by Forbes, and is also ranked highly by Forbes for its healthy economic climate. According to the South Dakota Governor’s Office of Economic Development, Sioux Falls places 9th in the US among clusters of employers in the finance industry, and gross domestic product of the finance industry within the state consistently increased year over year between 2000 and 2009.5 First Financial Bank is among the finance firms with a presence in Sioux Falls, with a second office in Dakota Dunes. The firm offers a full suite of services to meet most personal banking needs and regularly seeks qualified applicants for finance roles. Well-known credit card issuer and investment house Citibank (South Dakota) NA also has a location in Sioux Falls, where finance graduates are always welcome to apply to openings.
South Dakota Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
In South Dakota, financial analysts earn an average annual salary of $61,660.6 South Dakota financial managers earn an average annual salary of $113,670.6 Opportunities for financial analysts tend to be centered in the west of the state surrounding Rapid City, or to the east surrounding Sioux Falls and the far eastern non-metropolitan area.7 This eastern non-metropolitan area also ranks as one of the places with the highest non-urban concentration of financial analysts in the US.7 Financial managers find the greatest number of opportunities in the eastern quarter of the state.7 In the coming years, financial analysts and managers are projected to see positive job growth across the nation of 23% and 9% respectively.8,9
South Dakota Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||260||$58,780|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=SD&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. South Dakota Governor’s Office of Economic Development: http://www.sdreadytowork.com/home.aspx
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_sd.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm#tab-6
9. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm#tab-6