Finance Schools in Utah
The page below provides details about master’s degrees in finance from Utah universities. Schools in the state offer a variety of different advanced finance degrees. Students can earn degrees such as a Master of Business Administration (MBA) or a Master of Science in Finance (MSF), and many programs offer opportunities to add concentrations or graduate certificates. Some programs can be completed entirely online, on a part-time basis, or in an accelerated, full-time format. After graduating from a finance school in Utah, students may find opportunities to work within the state. Program details, degree concentrations, and other information on a finance career in Utah can be found below.
Finance Program Stats
- There are 9 four-year not-for-profit colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Utah.1
- 3 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.1
- Highest graduation rate*: Brigham Young University, Provo 83%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Western Governors University 28%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Westminster College $24,606.1
- Lowest net price per year*: Utah Valley University $6,738.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Utah*: $4,840-$32,404.1
- 2 schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2016: Brigham Young University Marriott School of Business (#18), University of Utah David Eccles School of Business (#105).2
- 1 school in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2017 (top 100): Brigham Young University Marriott School of Business (#34).3
*For 4-year not-for-profit colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Schools in Utah with Master’s in Finance Degrees
Traditional Master’s in Finance Programs
Brigham Young University
Brigham Young University offers two graduate degrees for students interested in careers in the financial industry. The Master of Science in Finance (MSF) degree program focuses on the application of quantitative methods in financial management careers, investment banking, and investment management. The Master of Finance (MFin) degree is designed for those interested in more technical roles in the theory and practice of finance, financial economics, and financial engineering. Both degrees emphasize quantitative topics while also teaching an understanding of corporate governance, business ethics, and business strategy. Work experience is helpful for each program but is not required, and the curriculum can be completed in one to two years depending on a student’s schedule. Graduates from Brigham Young can go on to work for investment and corporate banks, brokerage firms, hedge funds, and venture capitalists.
Utah Valley University
At Utah Valley University, students can earn a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree emphasizing a thorough understanding of business fundamentals. Students learn applied business knowledge through case studies, simulations, projects, and interactions with local and global organizations. The core curriculum focuses on subjects such as managerial economics, financial management, global business strategies, and creativity and innovation. UVU students learn strategies for critical thinking and problem solving as well as a global perspective on decision-making. Full-time students can complete the program in one year, and part-time students can attend evening classes two days per week and complete the degree in two years. All students have the option to add an emphasis in either management or accounting.
The Bill and Vieve Gore School of Business at Westminster College offers a six-semester Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. The program is flexible and self-paced, with three different starting points throughout the year, and students can either study full-time or continue to work while they study part-time. The MBA program focuses on growing student’s applied business knowledge and leadership skills, and classes cover subjects such as finance, marketing, organizational behavior, ethics, and international business. Students can tailor their electives to add a concentration in business analytics, entrepreneurship, marketing, or high-performance organizations. Graduates are prepared to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination, and students also have access to a strong alumni network for potential career opportunities.
Online Master’s in Finance Programs
University of Utah
At the David Eccles School of Business, students can earn a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree entirely online. The MBA program is ideal for students looking to gain useful business knowledge to apply in their careers. Students can start this program at three different points of the year and there are no prerequisites. The program schedule is flexible; students can adjust their course load, take a combination of on-campus and online courses, or take a leave of absence without disrupting their degree. Through web conferencing, online forums, and multimedia resources, students learn analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills, effective management skills, and communication strategies. Courses include Data Analysis, Financial Management, Business Strategy, and Managerial Accounting. Students can earn an additional graduate certificate in Information Systems online, or a certificate in Business Analytics on campus.
Utah State University
The Jon M. Huntsman School of Business at Utah State University offers an online Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree ideal for working professionals. The curriculum provides students with foundational business knowledge as well as the skills needed to succeed in their careers. The core classes cover the subjects needed in modern business, such as marketing, finance, accounting, and business strategies. Students take classes like Negotiation for Executives, Enterprise Creation, Business Intelligence and Analytics, and Accounting for Management Decision Making. Students without an undergraduate business background may need to complete additional prerequisite courses.
Utah Career Opportunities for Graduates
Graduates with master’s in finance degrees in Utah may find employment among the state’s many companies after graduation. Utah’s biggest cities, such as Salt Lake City, West Valley City, Provo, and West Jordan, are home to many of the state’s largest companies. Statewide banks, such as Bank of Utah, Central Bank, and State Bank of Southern Utah, may have positions in financial roles. The local financial services company, Zions Bancorporation, as well as national companies like Goldman Sachs, American Express, Wells Fargo, and Discover Financial Services have major corporate centers in the state. Other companies such as CHG Healthcare Services, Intermountain Healthcare, Convergys, and Infosys Limited employ a large number of people in Utah. Those with advanced degrees in finance may have an advantage finding positions in financial roles in one of Utah’s many companies.
Utah Finance Job Information
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||70,470||$64,740|
|Financial Specialists, All Other||980||$63,320|
|Personal Financial Advisors||1,920||$87,650|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of 2018.4
Utah Salary and Job Outlook
Those with master’s in finance degrees in Utah may find many possible opportunities for employment within the state after finishing their studies. Although many state salaries for financial positions are lower than national averages, the number of positions in Utah is projected to grow at a much faster rate than the nation at large. Personal financial advisors in Utah earn an average of $87,650 annually, lower than the national average of $123,100, but these positions are expected to grow by a whopping 52.1% through 2024 in the state.4,5,6 Financial analyst positions are projected to grow 27.8% through 2024, more than double the national rate of 11.7%.6 Financial specialists can earn an average of $63,320 annually in Utah, compared to an average of $76,230 nationally, and these positions are projected to grow by 26% in the state (compared to 4.9% nationally).4,7,6 With such high projected growth rates, students graduating from finance schools in Utah may find many career opportunities in the state’s rapidly expanding financial industry.
- Financial Planning Association of Utah (Utah FPA) – Association for professionals in the financial planning industry. FPA advocates for the financial planning field and hosts continued education events and career development opportunities.
- Northern Utah Association of Government Accountants (Northern Utah AGA) – Professional organization for accountants who work in federal, state, and local governments as well as the private sector and academia. The Northern Utah chapter of AGA provides monthly training opportunities in addition to networking events and annual seminars.
- Health Financial Management Association of Utah (HFMA Utah) – Professional group for those who work in financial management in the healthcare field in Utah. HFMA organizes industry conferences and networking events.
Directory of Utah Master’s in Finance Programs
University of Utah
201 Presidents Circle
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Utah State University
Logan, UT 84322
1840 South 1300 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84105
1. National Center for Education Statistics (NCES): https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Bloomberg, Best Undergraduate Business Schools 2016: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
3. US News & World Report, Best Business Schools in 2017: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
4. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2016 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, Utah: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ut.htm
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2016, Personal Financial Advisors: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132052.htm
6. Projections Central, Long Term Occupational Projections: http://www.projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2016, Financial Specialists, All Other: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132099.htm