Finance Schools in Utah
Students interested in pursuing a graduate finance degree have several options at Utah’s colleges and universities. The University of Utah’s Master of Science in Finance program can be completed in one year on a full-time basis, although part-time study is also permitted. Utah State University’s Master of Science in Financial Economics is geared toward graduate students who want to work in such areas as financial forecasting, risk management, and financial research. A flexible alternative to a traditional graduate finance program is an online master’s in finance program offered at some colleges.
- There are 10 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Utah.
- 3 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: Brigham Young University Provo, 77%. 1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Western Governors University, 25%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Westminster College, $24,044. 1
- Lowest net price per year*: Utah Valley University, $8,857. 1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Utah: $4,710 – $28,210.2
- 1 school in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: Brigham Young University (12).
- 2 schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100): Brigham Young University (30) and University of Utah (61).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Utah
Southern Utah University
Southern Utah University awards a Master of Business Administration that focuses on developing students’ ability to make leadership decisions. Students learn from experienced faculty in classes with small average sizes for a more direct learning environment. Professors from the economics and finance departments teach many classes in the program; both departments are committed to furthering the study and understanding of these subjects in the greater world of business. Students enrolled in Southern Utah University’s programs benefit further from the school’s Wells Fargo Business Executive Speaker Series, which invites well-known business leaders to speak on campus.
University of Utah
The University of Utah, through its David Eccles School of Business, offers a Master of Science in Finance program with an emphasis on modern financial theory and practice. Students graduate prepared to work in financial and investment management, and may choose to follow a degree track that includes preparation for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exam. Classes may be taken full-time or part-time, culminating in a comprehensive exam prior to graduation. Students benefit further from the career management resources offered by the school’s Business Career Management Center. The University of Utah has been highly ranked by US News & World Report, the Public Accounting Report, and the London Times Higher Education World Rankings.
Weber State University
Weber State University offers a Master of Business Administration degree program that is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. This degree prepares students to work at the management level in finance through a finance intensive curriculum that includes courses in management accounting, financial management, negotiation, and strategy. The program is offered on two tracks to accommodate students with AACSB-accredited undergraduate business degrees and those with undergraduate degrees from institutions without this accreditation or in other subject areas. Weber State University’s campus is growing rapidly, allowing it to offer more programs and opportunities to its students.
Utah Career Opportunities for Graduates
Forbes recently ranked Utah on its Best States for Business list as the best state in the US for business based on its ready labor supply, healthy economic climate, and business-friendly regulatory environment, among other factors. The US Department of the Treasury is one of the largest employers in Utah according to the Utah Department of Workforce Services. The Internal Revenue Service, the Financial Management Service, and the Inspector General are among the sub-departments included in the Department of the Treasury. The department’s finance openings in the state of Utah are posted to the USAJobs career website. Zions Bank is headquartered in Salt Lake City, with over 125 branches across Utah and Idaho. Zions Bank offers full-suite services for individuals and businesses and recruits top talent to provide these services to its clients. Career openings with the company in multiple areas of finance are regularly updated.
Utah Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
Finance professionals earn competitive salaries in Utah; financial analysts earn an average of $74,090 per year while financial managers earn an average of $104,950 per year.5 Many opportunities are centered in the greater Salt Lake City metropolitan area.6 Utah’s strong predicted growth rate dovetails with US Bureau of Labor Statistics predictions for job growth for financial analysts and for financial managers at 23% and 9% respectively for the period from 2010-2020.7,8
Utah Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||1,600||$67,140|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-accounting/?type=private&type=public
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News & World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ut.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm