Finance Schools in West Virginia
West Virginia University, the only university in West Virginia to offer a graduate finance program, allows students to pursue a Master of Finance or a Master of Business Administration with a finance concentration. Students, who opt for the MBA program, may complete additional courses to also earn the MS in Finance. A flexible and convenient alternative is an online master’s in finance program. Online programs generally allow students to fulfill all degree requirements online.
- There are 8 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in West Virginia.
- 1 school offers a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: West Virginia Wesleyan College, 58%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: University of Charleston, 38%.1
- Highest net price per year*: West Virginia Wesleyan College, $17,869.1
- Lowest net price per year*: Marshall University, $8,157.1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in West Virginia: $13,930 – $25,804.2
- No schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013.
- No schools in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in West Virginia
West Virginia University awards a Master of Science in Finance degree to students accepted to its program with a background in finance or accounting through an undergraduate degree or business experience. The rigorous twelve-month curriculum, with select courses offered online, touches on the knowledge students must have for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exam and includes a final summer internship prior to graduation. Options are included whereby students may also earn a Master of Business Administration concurrently. West Virginia University is recognized as a research institution by the Carnegie Foundation and is ranked highly by US News & World Report, Forbes, and Businessweek.
West Virginia Wesleyan College
West Virginia Wesleyan College offers a Master of Business Administration with a possible customized concentration in finance. This degree prepares students to assume responsibility in upper management through cross-disciplinary study in the functions of global business. Problem solving perspectives and ethical decision making are emphasized in the curriculum. Courses are typically taken on a 14-week term schedule, with optional terms in May and summer. Students receive support in preparing for and pursuing careers through the school’s Career Services department. West Virginia Wesleyan College holds prestigious rankings with US News & World Report, Washington Monthly, and the Princeton Review.
Wheeling Jesuit University
Wheeling Jesuit University offers a Master of Business Administration degree with a heavy emphasis on finance, with core courses such as quantitative business analysis, accounting, and financial concepts, and management of financial resources. Students may use elective credits to further the finance emphasis. Classes are held on weekday evenings and may be taken full-time or part-time. Merit-based and competitive scholarships are available to qualified students.
West Virginia Career Opportunities for Graduates
The West Virginia Department of Commerce is actively supporting businesses in the state while seeking to increase the business presence of target industries including business services such as finance. As reported by Workforce West Virginia, an agency within the Virginia Department of Commerce, BB&T is one of the largest employers in West Virginia. BB&T offers a full suite of banking and investment services to clients at all levels. BB&T has branch offices across West Virginia and surrounding states and seeks finance professionals to work in various roles. The West Virginia Division of Financial Institutions is responsible for regulating financial services activities within the state, including the activities of banks, credit unions, lenders, currency exchanges, and similar institutions. Its main offices are located in Charleston. Openings with the agency are posted through the West Virginia Division of Personnel.
West Virginia Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
Financial analysts in West Virginia make an average annual salary of $58,820.5 Financial managers in West Virginia make an average annual salary of $73,550.5 Averages may be slightly higher in metropolitan areas with higher demand for finance professionals, such as in Huntington-Ashland, where financial analysts earn an average of $61,820 annually and financial managers earn an average of $87,540 annually.6 The US Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that job growth for financial analysts is on pace to hit 23% between 2010 and 2020, and that job growth for financial managers should reach 9% over the same period.7,8
West Virginia Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||3,400||$95,350|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=WV&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_wv.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm#tab-6
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm#tab-6