Finance Schools in Wisconsin
Graduate students interested in pursuing a graduate degree in finance have two options in Wisconsin. Concordia University Wisconsin’s Global Master of Business Administration program can be completed on campus or online. The on-campus program is run in an accelerated format. The University of Wisconsin at Madison’s Master of Science in Finance in Applied Security Analysis spans two years. Only current undergraduate students at the university may be considered for the M.S. in Finance program. An increasingly popular alternative to traditional learning is online learning. A growing number of schools are offering online master’s in finance degrees.
- There are 19 colleges and universities with finance degree programs in Wisconsin.
- 2 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree in finance.
- Highest graduate rate*: University of Wisconsin – Madison, 82%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate*: Marian University, 24%.1
- Highest net price per year*: Marquette University, $30,452.1
- Lowest net price per year*: University of Wisconsin – Whitewater, $10,518. 1
- Annual undergraduate tuition range for finance programs in Wisconsin: $5,405 – $33,244.2
- 2 schools in the Businessweek’s Top Business Undergraduate Programs in 2013: University of Wisconsin (32) and Marquette University (74).
- 1 school in the US News Best Business Graduate Schools in 2013 (top 100): University of Wisconsin – Madison (34).
*For 4-year colleges and universities that offer a finance degree program.
Master’s in Finance Degree Programs in Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, through its Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business, offers a Master of Science in Finance Analysis. Tailored to equip students to work in today’s finance world, the program recognizes the growing complexity of financial markets and the need for technical skills in the workplace. The curriculum includes in-depth study of modeling, data analysis, strategy, and management in the context of finance. Scholarships are available to graduate students, who also receive personalized career assistance through the school. The school is also highly technologically connected to support student learning and engagement. The Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
Concordia University Wisconsin
Concordia University Wisconsin offers a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Finance through an inherently flexible program of study that can be taken through on-campus and online courses. Classes meet in the evenings one night per week, and a thesis is not required for graduation. The finance concentration includes electives in financial institution management, securities analysis, and portfolio mathematics. Concordia University Wisconsin is considered a first tier university by US News & World Report.
Edgewood College offers a Master of Business Administration that can be focused with a graduate certificate in Applied Finance. This degree emphasizes the importance of ethics in business and the ability of professionals to make a positive impact in business and the greater community. Courses may be taken on campus or online. The graduate certificate in Applied Finance includes courses in corporate finance, investments, and banking. Students of the university enjoy small average class sizes and are encouraged to pursue hands-on learning through internships and other opportunities.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
Wisconsin is known for the strength of its agricultural industry with its position as the “dairy capital of the world.” The agriculture industry leads to opportunities for finance graduates in ways that might not be expected. AgStar Financial Services provides financial services to the beef and other specialist industries in northwest Wisconsin, extending into Minnesota, as a cooperative and farm credit association. The firm has offices in Baldwin and Rice Lake, Wisconsin and is regularly looking for motivated finance associates to join its team. In more traditional finance, Northwestern Mutual was recently ranked as one of the Top 100 Workplaces in Southeastern Wisconsin by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. This insurance and wealth management house has offices across Wisconsin in addition to its Milwaukee headquarters; Wisconsin is the state in which the firm was originally founded as an insurance company. Northwestern Mutual offers competitive career paths to finance professionals interested in working in corporate or investment positions.
Wisconsin Financial Analyst and Manager Salary and Job Outlook
Financial analysts working in Wisconsin earn an average annual salary of $75,420; financial managers working in Wisconsin earn an average annual salary of $102,770.5 The Milwaukee area attracts a high concentration of financial analysts as well as financial managers, though professionals on either career path find opportunities in other Wisconsin metropolitan areas like Green Bay, Eau Claire, and Madison as well.6,7 As predicted by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, job growth for financial analysts should reach 23% between 2010 and 2020, with financial manager job growth not far behind at 9% during the same time frame.8,9
Wisconsin Finance Salary and Jobs
|Occupation||Number Employed||Average Salary|
|Personal Financial Advisors||2,860||$74,030|
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of May 2012.
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?degree=4-year&state=WI&major=finance-accounting&sort=best
3. Bloomberg Businessweek: https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-best-undergrad-business-schools/
4. US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
5. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_wi.htm
6. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes132051.htm
7. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes113031.htm
8. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm#tab-6
9. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm#tab-6